Friday 30 November 2012

Plethora of pussies

No apologies for the title - there was simply an abundance of cats around today, with five more to add to the blog. It's been a surprisingly productive week for streetmog collecting and the glorious sunny weather is to thank for that. Today was one of those perfect English winter days - bright, crisp, and golden. That sounds like an ad for Walker's. Anyway, back to the kits...

Streetmogs name: Pedro
Actual name:
Favourite Location: Suntrap
Preferred stroke: n/a
Character: Wise old owl, even though he's a cat
Other: Pedro (don't ask why...I am running out of made-up cat names) was the epitomy of cat contentment, lapping up the morning sunshine. When I approached, he seemed agitated so I decided to leave the old fellow alone to sit in peace.


Streetmogs name: Tortoise
Actual name:
Favourite Location: Wall
Preferred stroke: Chin tickle
Character: Exhibitionist
Other: This is a Streetmogs landmark as Tortoise is the first 'repeat'. I've decided to include him as he was a total loony and very affectionate to boot. His previous appearance can be seen here when he was spotted further down the road. In the photo sequence, Tortoise displays his self-chin-rub-atop-wall technique. Btw, his second entry won't count towards the cat counter total, as that would be very wrong.



Streetmogs name: Coppertone
Actual name:
Favourite Location: Garden path
Preferred stroke: Head rub
Character: Inquisitive
Other: Coppertone actually ran down the garden path to greet me, bless his ginger socks. He loved to be fussed over and if I hadn't had so much work to do, I could have stayed for a long while...



Streetmogs name: Necktie
Actual name:
Favourite Location: Path (in sunshine)
Preferred stroke: n/a
Character: Timid tom
Other: Necktie was also enjoying the sunshine, seemingly without a care in the world. I managed to get pretty close but he was not having it and retreated to the doorway. Rather than push for some fussing, I decided to leave him be as I'd already been mog-spoiled rotten.



Streetmogs name: Bertie
Actual name:
Favourite Location: Front garden
Preferred stroke: Anything he can get
Character: Tactile snugglepuss
Other: Bertie was a beauty, a soft lump of mog who was persistent as well as insistent when it came to demanding attention. His purr was as loud as his face was fat; the photos show the typical feline head run against human (in this instance, my knee) and his brilliant V.I.P. (should that not be V.I.C.?) collar.







5 comments:

  1. I believe Tortoise is a lady. Looks like a calico to me & they're 99.9% females. She looks a lot like my Nutmeg, who is also a calico tabby (Calico fur pattern also available without stripes) Occasionally a male calico is born, but they are infertile. So yeah, I'm a genetics nerd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Rene. A money-grubbing cat breeding acquaintance of mine was boasting how her purebred Ragdoll had produced a tortishell Tom & how she could sell him for "thousands as a stud Tom". I took GREAT delight in telling her he was prob. 99.99% infertile ;-)

      Delete
    2. Love reading your genetics comment. I was really stuck, funnily enough, over whether to use he or she with my cat descriptions. I end up going with a gut feeling, but I'm no cat expert and am sure that I have many mog genders wrong! You might be right about Tortoise, btw!

      Delete
    3. I as a vet student have probably encountered thousands of torties and am yet to meet a male one. Only 1 in 3000 is male and they have to have an extra X chromosome to give them a genotype of XXY.

      Delete